Monday, May 5, 2008

Qurarter life crisis

Hi everyone
Today like Archimedes I would like to scream from top of my heart and say "Eureka" "Eureka" "Eureka"
You must be thinking that I have gone "mad"
No!! Just like him today I discovered something;
What actually me and some of my friends are going through…
Today in the afternoon I was just shuffling through channels and I saw "Rajat kapoor " and I waited to take a good look at him (I REALLY LIKE HIM) It was his program on NDTV good times( I hope you know the channel.. other wise forget it)..
So he was talking about something called "Quarter life crisis"
I know its total neoteric term but once you will read about it u will thinking to change Ur lines; u will say I am going through
"Quarter life crisis" instead of saying I am frustrated
Now u must be very anxious to know abt it…
Let me ask u some questions? Answer them honestly?? U don’t have a choice ? ok
Are you between 21- 29yrs age group?
Are feeling "not good enough" because u can't find a job that is at your academic/intellectual level?
Are u frustrated with relationships, mostly at work?
Are u confuse with your identity?
Are u insecure about ur future ?
Are u confuse about goal of your life?
Are u always arguing with your parents these days?
Are u pressurize for getting married?
Are u looking for guys?
Are u Scared of commitment?
Are you not very happy with your job?
Are you missing your college friends?
Are you lonely?
Do u feel that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you?
If ur answer is mostly "Yes"… then ur also going through "Quarter life crisis"…
As I am also going through the same phase, I can tell you how I feel..
Every morning I get up and go to office but hardly excited about going (and its my 2nd job and 1st six months.. just imagine) . I know that it will be same as yesterday.. A sense of hopelessness, that something will change for good…
I feel so bad sometimes that for earning the qualifications i have, I have spent so much time and money but still they are not good enough for my job, it actually brings insecurity, uncertainty and what not..
My social life is nowhere coz all my friends are busy and may be doing something just like me.. Some of them got married and have kids now, and some are committed and others are like me "Single".. Sometimes I feel so lonely and scared, feel like life is just running away from me.. Sometimes I look at the mirror and scared to look at myself, I don’t want see me all alone.
Then there is always big talk about money and financial matters and savings, For me its more confusing than anything.. I don’t know how to save and invest and all that.. When everyone around me is doing very well really.
Everyday I reach home late, hardly I see my father as he works in shifts.. I am always in the verge of getting into argument over small things.. so keep quite as I don’t like arguments much.. but then either I drown myself in books or sleep…
I want to get married eventually but then "Mr. Right" is an illusion and I have certain goals to achieve before that, but I don’t mind falling in love now.. But let it be…
So , this what I was doing or I am doing .. this is my struggling period … and it will get over soon I hope so….



"If you are my type u would love some theoretical knowledge.. Other wise skip the para in quotes or read the following"

" In the view of Erik Erikson, certain psychosocial demands, or crises, confront the individual at distinct intervals throughout life. The young adult, for instance, is expected to enter into an institution--i.e., marriage and family--that will perpetuate the society. The degree to which the basic need for intimacy on all levels--physical, emotional, and others--is met in such a relationship determines in most individuals the conception of the self as belonging or as isolated. In middle adulthood the crisis develops between the sense of generativity and the sense of stagnation. In this stage the individual is expected to play the role of a contributing, generative member of society. Generativity can take the form of providing the goods and services by which society functions or of producing, rearing, and socializing future members of society. The inability to develop a productive self-conception results in a feeling of stagnation. In maturity, according to Erikson, a crisis arises with regard to the sense of ego integrity versus the sense of despair. In this stage, individuals realize that they are reaching the end of life. If they have successfully progressed through the previous stages of development, they can face old age with satisfaction in the feeling that a full and complete life has been led. Individuals for whom this integrity of life is lacking often feel a sense of despair over "wasted" opportunity"
So what exactly Erikson says that
In this period crisis in 3 areas of our life are:-
Career
Marriage + Relationships(Formal + Informal)
Dealing with external Forces(Parents, Society)
They are because of lack of clarity, confusion, too many options, peer pressure, too many success stories around us as people are becoming successful in small age, too many expectation from parents and self, too many goals and short time, money, social norms and many more.. Really à what these all things are leading to "Loss of self - esteem",
That means do you feel like a loser, no self worth …isn’t it?
If the answer is no then very good!!
So u have Ur weapons to deal with this crisis, if not then let’s see what we can do about it?

3 comments:

Umme Salma Kandoriwala said...

hi tanu,
i totally agree wid what u have written...i think its a phase that every body goes through until one gets a purpose to life--> a purpose they have been always looking for-it cld be marriage , or a better paying job, or something challenging, or wanting to serve others.its all about need fullfillment.the need has to get fullfilled and until it is not the quarter life crisis continues.i think the confusion remains till one is not able to get what they r looking for.but mannier times we also see that even after we get what we r looking for a new goal may arise and the confusion and stagnation...keeps us holding..this is life..what say[:)]

Unknown said...

Interesting it is to have reflected so much.

Everywhere you see, there are these people, waiting for something, someone, waiting for a miracle to come across them, while they could have made it happen themselves.

I want to grow stronger, strong enough to make what I want happen.

Nice post, reading this makes me want to work harder.

Mixed..Feelings said...

thanks Alok.. i hope all your hard work will help u to achieve everything u want...